MakeHartford strives to provide a safe, productive, and fun community for its members. In keeping of this mission, we ask you to obey the following policies and procedures while working in our facility. Failure to obey these policies and procedures can make our facilities dangerous or unwelcome to others, and such actions on your part may result in your license being terminated without notice. Please take them seriously. We reserve the right to change these policies and procedures as needed and with sufficient notice to members.
- Individual Safety: Obey all posted signs and literature pertaining to safe use of our facilities. These included but are not limited to signs regarding appropriate shoes, clothing and protective gear, techniques for safe equipment use, material-specific precautions for equipment, and machine tool lockouts. Do not use equipment you are not comfortable with or trained to use. Our strong preference is that you not operate heavy machinery after hours without a partner in the facility; operate it individually at your own risk. Default to asking for help if uncertain.
- Shared Safety: In a shared and open facility like ours, it is possible for less experience members to operate equipment dangerously without knowing it. Please stay on the lookout for unsafe behavior, and approach and offer feedback to fellow members if you believe they are working unsafely. Please notify staff immediately if you believe any piece of equipment or infrastructure to be unsafe.
- Respectful Behavior: In both in-person and electronic interactions, behave respectfully, courteously, and professionally to your fellow members. No discrimination, harassment or hate speech shall be tolerated.
- Private Work and Storage Areas: Any member may pay for use of private work or storage space within MakeHartford, provided there is space available. Private space maybe secured by its owner with a key provided that a duplicate is given to the office. See attachment for rates and additional information.
- Courtesy of Shared Spaces: Keep noise levels to a respectful minimum for the comfort and enjoyment of those in the immediate area. No loud music, tool use or other noise will be permitted in the open rental areas without the explicit permission of the members around you. No fumes or flames are permitted in unventilated areas. Restore the spaces to be as clean or cleaner than when you found them. Please respect and do not interrupt any official MakeHartford activities or classes in the shared spaces.
- Shared Equipment: Each member will have a monthly bank from which they may reserve equipment using an online calendar on a first come-first serve basis. Additional time may be purchased. Any equipment not reserved is open to member use at any time.
- Presence: Inactivity and lack of physical presence at our community facility can be determined to our mission prevent others from the space. Please inform us of any extended absences or extenuating circumstances that might prevent you from attending. Otherwise, we expect members to make regular use of our facilities.
- Guests: Non-members are permitted in MakeHartford so long as they do not use MakeHartford equipment or shared areas or interfere with other members. Guests and their actions are the sole responsibility of the host member.
- Tolerance of Feedback: Please be open to constructive feedback from fellow members, especially as it pertains to safe use of our equipment and disrespectful communication or behavior.